Learn about Audio
The below faqs are a list of answers about Amobee Audio. If you’re an Amobee DSP client, please visit our Help Center for more tips and tricks.
Frequently asked questions about Audio on the Amobee DSP (Part 1)
What is programmatic audio?
Programmatic audio is the automated selling and insertion of ads in audio content (e.g., podcasts, digital radio, and music-streaming services).
How is it executed?
Audio is available in-platform for all transaction types: Open Auction, Private Marketplace (PMP), and Programmatic Guaranteed (PG). Availability of each transaction type may vary by exchange.
What are the types of inventory available?
Available inventory includes streaming playlists (music/talk/news/sports) and podcasts. Sample publishers include Spotify, Pandora, Soundcloud, and TuneIn.
Can we layer telco (i.e., Optus) data across audio inventory?
Telco data would be considered behavioral targeting, which is available with some exceptions (e.g., Spotify desktop app).
Can you layer cross-device retargeting across audio inventory?
Yes, however, this may significantly limit scale.
Does Amobee ID work with audio?
Is bid shading available for audio?
Bid shading (for flat bidding) is not available for the audio channel.
What type of audio durations are available (15s, 30s, etc.)?
Amobee suggests using 15s and 30s audio durations for the most reach. Longer durations are possible with publisher approval.
Frequently asked questions about Audio on the Amobee DSP (Part 2)
Can you apply a frequency cap with audio?
What type of audio unit files are accepted?
- — OGG, WebM, WAV, MP4, and MP3 are all supported. Required file types will vary by publisher, but most accept MP3 or OGG.
- — Media files uploaded to the Amobee DSP for hosting will automatically be transcoded to all other file types.
- — Third-party hosted creatives will depend on the file types in the VAST tag.
What is the max file size and bitrate that can be used for audio files?
The recommended and maximum file size and bitrate for audio files is as follows:
File size: < 2 mb suggested, < 2.2 mb max Bitrate: < 128 kbps suggested, < 198 kbps max Suggested numbers are to prevent you from running into issues with maximum size limits (where the limit refers to the maximum size you can use before losing out on significant scale). Note: Some major publishers allow higher file sizes and bitrates.
What placements are available (pre-, mid-, post-roll)?
All of these placements are available.
What are the spec requirements?
Both third-party VAST and raw media file uploads are supported. MP3 and OGG are the most common file types needed for third-party VAST. Other aspects, like duration and companion banner support, will vary by publisher and will be specified during PMP negotiation.
What is the upload process?
Both third-party VAST and raw media file uploads are supported. Additionally, Amobee offers a 24/7 Ad Ops support team that can traffic creatives on your behalf.
What measurement is available?
Available metrics include completions, actions, action rate, clicks, CPA, CPC, and CTR. These metrics may vary by provider/publisher.
- — Completions are tracked using the VAST protocol, same as with video. Completion rates average upwards of 90%, since the only way to skip is to close out of the app.
- — Actions can be tracked on mobile app impressions because all delivery is tied to the Device ID.
- — Actions cannot be tracked on the Spotify desktop app because the available User ID does not link to any other devices or browser.
- — Clicks are tracked using the Click-Thru URL from the VAST tag, as they generate a clickable link that appears with the companion.
Which metrics are considered primary KPIs for audio?
The primary KPI for audio is delivery. Additionally, we can track CPM, CPA, action rate, ROI/ROAS, completion rate, CPCV, on-target %, GRP guaranteed, brand lift, engagement, and reach.
Frequently asked questions about Audio on the Amobee DSP (Part 3)
Can you run in-flight optimization (IFO) with an audio campaign?
Can audio inventory be forecasted?
The ability to forecast directly in the Amobee DSP is not supported. Since many deals may not be active during the planning stage, there would not be any data to generate forecasts. For deals that are active, you can see how many daily bid requests are available for any given deal ID in the platform. Additional data on unique impressions and spend should be requested from publishers during deal negotiation.
Are advertisers able to target by smart speaker devices (e.g., Alexa, smart cars, Google Home)?
Standard device types are available for targeting on the Amobee DSP. Other devices (e.g., smart speakers) may be available for targeting on the publisher side and should be requested during deal negotiation.
What kind of targeting is available for audio?
Available targeting can be seen during line item and package creation with the DSP. Due to the nature of the audio format, there are several targeting limitations to be aware of (i.e., automated bidding, content targeting, viewability).
Can viewability targeting be applied for audio ads?
Do our partners support companion banners?
Audio suppliers may support companion banners, however, they are seen as a value add and not offered as a guarantee.
- — The majority of audio publishers don’t have companion banner impressions, and the ones that do only have a minimal amount of companion banner impressions.
- — Smart speaker inventory is gaining popularity across listeners and does not support banners.
How does trafficking audio companion banners work?
Trafficking works the same way as video companion banners. For more information, see Adding Video and Audio Creatives.
Frequently asked questions about Audio on the Amobee DSP (Part 4)
Can you apply brand-safety, fraud, and/or ad verification solutions for audio?
- — Pre-bid contextual, page quality, and brand safety targeting are not available at this time. Brand safety is best addressed during deal negotiation.
- — Post-bid measurement is very limited within the industry.
- — Fraud and other third-party ad verification that does not utilize VPAID wrappers is supported.
Does Amobee support podcast inventory programmatically?
Can podcasts be excluded by genre or show?
Podcasts can be targeted at the category and genre level. Some publishers have the ability to apply show-level exclusions. This can be negotiated with publishers when setting up PMPs.
What measurement is available for podcast?
It will depend on the type of podcast. Streamed podcasts will contain the same metrics and abilities as other programmatic audio. Downloaded podcasts that are played offline will be much more limited.