NBA ups tune-in intent with an assist from video
Targets core audience in social feeds with memorable video creative
- Increase NBA TV viewer ratings for NBA basketball match-ups on Christmas Day
- Encourage audience tune-in with updated creative
- Maximize audience engagement with video creative to achieve higher view ratings
- Distinguish core vs. casual NBA fan profiles, then align with content and sentiment trends to reach them at the ideal time
- Deliver data-driven personalized interactive video ads to increase engagement and video view-rates
- Execute across all screens in both programmatic and social environments to influence individual TV viewership of games
Lift of NBA Christmas game tune-in intent
Increase in NBA Video View Rates across Facebook and Instagram
Lift in ad recall
Delivered impressions on Facebook and Instagram
What do you do if one of your most important games of the year falls on a Christmas Sunday – and there is an NFL game broadcasting at the same time?
Amobee, in partnership with the NBA and its agency, Spark Mediavest, delivered a programmatic and social cross-screen video campaign to drive tune-in for both individual games and the Christmas Day match up.
With Amobee’s audience planning tools, Spark Mediavest defined the two distinct audiences of interest: “casual” vs. “core” NBA fans with aligned video creative experiences. In the week leading up to the Christmas Day game, Amobee delivered 41M combined impressions on Facebook and Instagram of high-energy video ads featuring behind-the-scenes footage, built-in interactive moments and a strong call-to-action. By packaging social video with tailored audiences, the NBA effectively increased intent to tune-in by 19 points. And, among young viewers (23-34 year olds), ad recall was up 23 points, surpassing Facebook’s 17-point benchmark.
Thanks to this kind of campaign strategy throughout the season, the NBA saw unprecedented growth in TV viewership, up 17% since then to 1.4M viewers – the biggest ratings growth in North American pro sports. Regular season national TV ad revenues had increased 11% YOY.
Lift & Incrementality, Cross Device Programmatic, Social, Pattern Discovery, Consumer Sentiment & Trends, Audience Syndication, Creative & Content Personalization