Linear TV and digital are finally partnering up for a lasting relationship that will empower them to break through the fragmentation challenges that have kept them confined to siloed budgets and strategies. While consumers move seamlessly from one screen to another, beginning a story in one medium and ending it in an entirely different one TV investment teams and digital planners and traders still face formidable business and best practices obstacles that have historically kept them in silos, including:
- Institutional barriers: TV Upfronts versus auction environments are conducted separately and don’t take into account the complexity of the cross-screen consumer journey
- Structural barriers: Walled garden business models that increase fragmentation and impact attribution, creating silos within the channels advertisers need to move across
As a result, linear TV planning is not coordinated with digital execution, and both sides sacrifice efficiency and reach at a critical time when advertisers are struggling to find and connect with their most desired audiences.
Luckily the technology to tackle convergence already exists.
As connected TV and addressable are on target to claim almost half of ad budgets by 2022 — almost equal to that of linear TV — the coupling of TV and digital is recreating the future of advertising for the converged world.
To maximize the opportunity of convergence, media buyers need to embrace new technologies by aligning linear TV and digital measurement, planning, and management solutions that break through silos.
Converged linear TV and digital planning and portfolio management enable marketers to:
- Extending reach to digital from TV buys by analyzing TV data to determine who has been exposed to your commercials. Identify and target unexposed audiences and activate omnichannel campaigns
- Manage frequency across all channels by accessing detailed insights into the overlap of campaigns across TV, OTT, desktop and mobile video.
- Defending mindshare by identifying and target viewers of competitor’s ads, to maintain your awareness, defend mindshare and share of wallet.
A happier future for Advertisers The merging of these two sides of the media and planning ecosystem will enable marketers and media owners to truly optimize converged investments across all linear TV, connected TV, digital, and social screens for a cross-screen experience that benefits consumers and advertisers alike and creates a more holistic future for advertising.
To learn more about how overcoming barriers and the products you need to capitalize on convergence download ‘A Practical Guide to TV-Digital Convergence’
Read NextAll Blog Posts
A unified workflow — purpose-built to support premium video and CTV — is critical to the smooth adoption and efficient execution of campaigns that reach coveted TV and digital audiences.
January 7, 2020
Data & Insights
Why Linear TV Budgets Are Migrating to Digital
Primetime ratings for the last year's Olympic Games fell 33% for adults aged 18 to 49. As with NFL games and awards shows, people weren’t watching the events unfold live. Rather, they were watching the highlights on their phones and tablets.
July 13, 2017
The Future of Programmatic Is Built on Truth in Advertising
Turn believes transparency provides a foundation on which the programmatic advertising industry will flourish.
June 7, 2016